Job Title: Senior Accountant
Job Status: Full Time, Salaried, Exempt
Job Site: Springfield, Oregon
**Note: all staff are currently working remotely due to COVID-19. A home office set-up stipend and monthly internet contribution are in place for the duration of required telework.**
Pay Range: Salary commensurate with experience ($48,000-68,000; 5% bilingual pay differential for English/Spanish)
Benefits: Medical, dental and vision insurance; a deferred compensation retirement plan that includes an employer match (eligibility for the plan begins after one year of employment); paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; optional alternative schedule of 5/8s, 4/10s, or 4/9s+4. DevNW is committed to the professional growth of all employees and provides excellent annual training opportunities.
DevNW is committed to creating a diverse workforce to strengthen our organization and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. The individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and talent that our employees invest in their work helps shape the culture here at DevNW.
We strive to hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every one of the qualifications listed. In recruiting for our team, we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
If you meet key qualifications for the job, and believe you would be the best fit, we would encourage you to apply; please use your cover letter or introduction email to explain how you will accomplish parts of the job for which you have less experience. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, please feel free to contact us.
Purpose of the Position:
DevNW is a non-profit organization with a mission to collaboratively build human and capital assets to strengthen neighborhoods and broaden participation in community ownership and governance. The Senior Accountant is a key position within the organization and is responsible for day-to-day and monthly accounting processes in addition to supporting annual and other special projects. This position works directly with the Controller and closely with the Chief Financial Officer, Operations Management and other DevNW staff.
Accounting - Manage day-to-day accounting activities for the organization. Additional responsibilities include various support for DevNW programs, properties, and housing development projects, in accordance with organizational financial policies and industry standards. Responsible for assisting with general accounting and the monthly close process. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- General ledger - Prepare monthly journal entries and account reconciliation for assigned general ledger accounts.
- Monthly accruals – Prepare entries for monthly accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, fixed asset depreciation and recording of adjusting and reclassification of journal entries while maintaining associated schedules.
- Accounts receivable - Prepare and process invoices for grants and contracts; track progress; post transactions to the general ledger.
- Banking - Record deposit receipts; complete monthly statement reconciliations in cooperation with the Controller and Board Treasurer or the Treasurer’s designee.
- Financial reports – Monthly journal entries and allocation of expenses to programs; coordinate with other staff to ensure compliance with the terms of grants, contracts, loans, and investor requirements; with support from the Controller, assists in preparation of monthly and annual financial statements, grant, contract, and other financial reports.
- Financial Analysis – Review and analyze financial data for defining monthly variances. Proactively identify and correct transaction errors.
- Annual Audit – Prepare support documents and work with Controller, Chief Financial Officer and independent CPA firm to expedite the preparation of the annual audit.
- Other specific projects as assigned or developed.
The Senior Accountant will directly supervise one employee who performs Accounts Payable responsibilities.
Job-Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice, including a commitment to ongoing personal and organizational growth in these topics; experience identifying and deconstructing white privilege culture in an organizational setting and/or experience building proactively inclusive culture;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting with three to five years accounting experience preferred
- Increasingly responsible work experience including direct involvement in month-end and year-end reporting. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, writing, negotiation, analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain a cooperative and team-oriented working relationship with a wide range of people, such as other employees, and professionals from financial institutions, public and private funders, and regulatory agencies.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel. Must be able to adapt to new and different computer programs and software to enable efficient data gathering and analysis.
- Experience in nonprofit accounting preferred but not required General Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to the ideals of equity, asset building, economic justice, and creating economic opportunities for low- to moderate-income families;
- A demonstrable understanding of accounting policies and procedures including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, the audit process, and grant management concerns.
- Effective and creative problem solving;
- Demonstrate sound judgment in managing competing priorities, tasks, and deadlines;
- Willingness and ability to adapt quickly as program and organizational needs evolve;
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a close-knit team, with equal ease;
- Ability to use a computer, keyboard (or adaptive equipment) and associated software for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email and calendar/scheduling programs.
- Completing a criminal background check prior to being hired, the results of which are satisfactory to the employer. DevNW recognizes the bias inherent in our criminal justice system and encourage qualified applicants to apply; we will offer the chance for individual explanation and consideration of background checks.
- Ability to work occasional evening hours (twice a month or less); travel to other locations in Oregon (once a month or less); and out of state travel for training and/or conferences for periods up to a week (once a year or less).
Please submit a resume to with subject line ‘Senior Accountant’. Position open until filled.
DevNW is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. Applications for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, national or
ethnic origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
DevNW values diversity and supports a positive, welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive. We strive to hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding a diverse workforce strengthens our organization.
DevNW is a regional nonprofit organization dedicated to building vibrant communities by empowering individuals, families, small businesses, and neighborhoods. We provide a range of programs and services that create affordable housing; promote economic stability and opportunities for low-income people; and build thriving, inclusive neighborhoods. DevNW is dedicated to deconstructing the racist and discriminatory systems that have led to vast inequalities in housing, asset/wealth building, and small business development in our communities.