Job Title: Staff Accountant
Job Status: Full Time, Exempt
Job Site: Lane County office, Temporarily Working 2-3 days from home until at least 7/31/21 due to COVID.
Pay Range: Salary commensurate with experience ($48,000 - $62,000) plus, Benefits
DevNW is committed to creating a diverse workforce to strengthen our organization and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. The individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and talent that our employees invest in their work helps shape the culture here at DevNW.
We strive to hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve. Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every one of the qualifications listed. In recruiting for our team, we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job and welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
If you meet key qualifications for the job, and believe you would be the best fit, we would encourage you to apply; please use your cover letter or introduction email to explain how you will accomplish parts of the job for which you have less experience. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, please feel free to contact us.
Purpose of Position: DevNW is a non-profit organization with a mission to collaboratively build human and capital assets to strengthen neighborhoods and broaden participation in community ownership and governance. The Staff Accountant is a key position within the organization, responsible for day-to-day accounting; working directly with the Controller and closely with the Chief Financial Officer, Operations Management and other DevNW staff.
Accounting - Manage day-to-day accounting activities for the organization, emphasis on support for DevNW’s affiliated lending program, Community LendingWorks. Additional responsibilities include various support for DevNW programs, properties, and housing development projects, in accordance with organizational financial policies and industry standards. Responsible for assisting with general accounting and the monthly close process. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- System reconciliation – Reconcile lender management system to accounting system weekly. Research errors and timing issues.
- General ledger - Prepare monthly journal entries and account reconciliation for assigned general ledger accounts.
- Monthly accruals - Perform the processing of monthly accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, fixed asset depreciation and recording of adjusting and reclassification of journal entries while maintaining associated schedules.
- Accounts receivable - Prepare and process invoices for grants and contracts; track progress; post transactions to the general ledger.
- Banking - Record deposit receipts; complete monthly statement reconciliations in cooperation with the Controller and Board Treasurer or the Treasurer’s designee.
- Financial reports – Monthly journal entries and allocation of expenses to programs; coordinate with other staff to ensure compliance with the terms of grants, contracts, loans, and investor requirements; with support from the Controller, prepares monthly and annual financial statements, grant and contract financial reports.
- Annual Audit – Prepare support documents and work with Controller, Chief Financial Officer and independent CPA firm to expedite the preparation of the annual audit.
- Other specific projects as assigned or developed
Required knowledge, skills, and experience include:
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting with one to three years accounting experience preferred
- Strong working knowledge of Excel. Must be able to adapt to new and different computer programs and software to enable efficient data gathering and analysis
- Requires strong attention to detail, accuracy, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in nonprofit accounting preferred but not required
- Increasingly responsible work experience.
- Excellent interpersonal communication, writing, negotiation, analytical, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain a cooperative and team-oriented working relationship with a wide range of people, such as other employees, and professionals from financial institutions, public and private funders, and regulatory agencies.
- Proficient in Excel, Word and Outlook
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and skills is qualifying. A typical way to demonstrate the required knowledge and skills would be:
- Working toward or achievement of a bachelor’s degree in accounting and up to one years’ experience
- Five years’ experience in full charge bookkeeping and/or accounting for a private or public nonprofit organization.
Other requirements include:
- Ability to use a computer, keyboard, and associated software for accounting, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email and calendar/scheduling programs.
- Completing a criminal background check and credit report prior to being hired, the results of which are satisfactory to the employer.
- Ability to work occasional evening hours (twice a month or less); travel to other locations in Oregon (once a month or less); and out of state travel for training and/or conferences for periods up to a week (once a year or less).
Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance; a deferred compensation retirement plan that includes an employer match (eligibility for the plan begins after one year of employment); and paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays. DevNW is committed to the professional growth of all employees and provides excellent annual training opportunities.
To Apply: please submit a resume to with subject line ‘Staff Accountant’. Position open until filled with priority given to applications received by July 20, 2021.
DevNW is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply. Applications for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every one of the qualifications listed. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may be one who comes from a less traditional background. If you meet key qualifications for the job, and believe you would be the best fit, we would encourage you to apply; please use your cover letter to explain how you will accomplish parts of the job for which you have less experience. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, please feel free to contact us.
DevNW values diversity and supports a positive, welcoming environment where all of our employees can thrive. We strive to hire a workforce representative of the communities we serve, understanding a diverse workforce strengthens our organization.